Monday, October 6, 2008

Post-Debate Analysis

I don't think I have every had that much anxiety while watching a debate. It was like when your child is up on stage at her dance recital, or delivering his/her first speaking part in the school play. YOu sit on the edge of your seat praying she doesn't trip or hang on every word hoping everything goes the way it is supposed to.

My quick analysis: Biden clearly won the debate, but he was supposed to. I actually think that may have been Biden's best debate performance ever. Palin held her own. Biden came across as having facts and experience (never mind that many of that weren't actually facts) and Palin came across as likable and "one of us." It was clear at times that she didn't have an answer to the question. Honestly, though, I'm getting a little tired of the word "Maverick."

One note: Lacey and I immediately burst out laughing when Biden said that people should come and "take a walk with me in my neighborhood." I know Greenville, Delaware well. I'm pretty sure that people in that town can afford to fill up their tank. Suffice it to say that Biden lives in what is referred to as "Chateau Country." I kid you not, as I drove in to work today, I spontaneously pulled into the Biden's Shell gas station of fame this morning and gassed up because I was surprised at how low gas was ($3.39 for regular). I didn't ask the guy inside if he really never filled up his car. Based on what I know of Biden's track record, I can venture a guess that the story probably isn't 100% accurate. Down on Union street (also mentioned by Biden) may be another story, but that is a far cry from Biden's neighborhood. In fact, I think we'd all rather enjoy taking a walk in Biden's neighborhood.

But I digress. The point is, I still think that McCain blew it with his VP pick. My initial fear was that once the shock value wore off, and Palin had to answer tough questions that she just wouldn't come across as being ready to be president. That may fly a little better when the top of the ticket isn't 98 years old, but McCain's no spring chicken. When you have people seriously checking the odds of survival based on the actuarial tables, you need a VP pick that looks like he/she is ready to step in and do the job. I don't think Palin gives that kind of confidence.

At this point, I feel the need to reiterate that I really like Palin. I think she's extremely capable and has done great things in Alaska. I just think the VP nod was premature. She would be great in a cabinet position. Perhaps Energy Secretary? I think she mentioned something about that during the debate .... Then she'd only be 15th in the line of succession for President.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Who would your VP pick been for McCain?