Wednesday, October 8, 2008

O-Boring and McLame Snooze Fest

Still not sure how I feel about last night's debate? I thought it was a complete waste of time. I could have just gone back and re-watched the first one. Sure, there were a few new things brought up. For example, McCain wants the Treasury Secretary to buy everyone's mortgage and lower the amount of their loan. Wait, sorry, not everyone. Not you guys that have actually been paying your mortgages. We also learned that somewhere in the Constitution, according to Obama, everyone has the right to health care. Not the right to access to purchase care, to work hard to pay for care, or the right to seek jobs with employers who will provide that care for you, but the right to have your neighbor buy it for you. There is a strong trend toward defining new rights these days. Notice that back in the good old days, when the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were written, "rights" were generally rights to act for your own benefit. You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But you don't have a right to have someone else pay for your pursuit. The idea is that you shouldn't be prevented from seeking these things. The idea wasn't that you had a right to take someone else's property to further your "right to life," for example. I know that isn't a very popular message, which is why McCain didn't hammer Obama on it. People would much rather hear that someone else is going to be compelled to take care of them. I understand that there are those who need assistance, and I believe that there are programs in place to help them. If the programs aren't working fix them. Don't nationalize the health care industry. I don't want the government in charge of my health care decisions. Take a look at the countries who have tried it.

I also learned that even this close to the election, McCain is not willing to take the gloves off and tell people who Obama is. The problem is, there is noone else willing to do that job either. The media is somehow completely uninterested. Obama certainly isn't going to do it. So who will?

In general, I think the "debate" format in this country is deplorable. Ask a question about a problem, then give the politician 2 minutes to answer, at least 1 minute of which is spent telling everyone that the problem you've just enunciated is, in fact, a problem. The remaining 30-60 seconds is spent assuring the people that that candidate is going to do something about said problem. Want to know how? Sorry, time's up. I almost forgot, last night we had the benefit of an additional 1 minute for discussion between the candidates. ONE MINUTE. We have some serious problems in this country right now, and we are given the benefit of hearing the candidates talk for 3 minutes, none of which is substantive. We may as well just have the candidates pre-record their soundbites and then hit a button to play whichever one they intend to use to answer the question.

Here's an idea: pick a topic for the debate, and stick to it. Have as many debates as there are important topics. Then provide a format where the candidates actually have to set forth their ideas, plans, arguments for at least 20 minutes. Then allow the other candidate to pick the other's presentation apart and ask questions directly to the other candidate. Make them respond. Give us some substance. In other words ... make them debate. I don't want candidates to be able to just throw anything out there as "fact" and not allow the other guy to meaningfully challenge it. Maybe it's the lawyer in me, but I want these guys to have to back it up. That's what I have to do when I'm making an argument. Unfortunately, if debates were run my way, the American people would probably not watch. You'd have people switching over to catch up on "American Idol" or "The Hills" within the first 10 minutes. Yes, I'm ridiculing those of you who would choose either of those (or comparable) shows over by my proposed debate format.

A few things that McCain didn't have the guts to say:

1. Obama wants to cut taxes for 95% of the people. Newsflash. Almost 50% of those people don't actually carry any federal income tax burden. So how will he cut taxes? Most likely in the form of "refundable tax credits," which means that regardless of whether you paid anything in the first place, you are going to "get money back." That's income re-distribution. Not exactly what the founders had in mind.

2. What is the total dollar amount it will cost for Obama to pay for all the programs he is promising? Does he really think he can do it through tax increases on rich people? Oh yeah, he's also going to close some yet to be disclosed loopholes. As Obama attacks the obscene rise in spending and national debt under Bush (accurate characterization, with which I completely agree), he has plans that will blow your mind ... and your wallet.

3. Don't worry, Obama doesn't want to raise your taxes, he just wants to raise your boss's taxes. Obama's rhetoric is pure class envy and class warfare. It will work, because people won't take the time to think it through. Do you really want the government to increase the amount of money it takes from your employer? What effect do you think that will have? Will you escape with no adverse consequences? What about those who are looking for a job? Do they really want all those prospective employers out there to suddenly have to send more money off to the federal government? Does that make you feel better about your job prospects? Is that really what is best for our economy right now?

In fact, it isn't. That is why Obama recently said that his tax plan may have to wait if the economy has not improved. Doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about his plan?

That's what I've got from the top of my head right now. I just ate a bunch of Chinese food for lunch, and it's sitting in my stomach like a rock ... sucking all the blood from my brain. I'm sure I'll think of more.

In the mean time, PLEASE read this article (all three pages) detailing an organization named ACORN's involvement in the current financial mess. Yes, the same ACORN whose Vegas offices were just raided by the FBI on suspicion of voter fraud. And you know their not signing extra people up for McCain! By the way, you'll also find that Obama has strong ties to this organization. Sorry, are we still not allowed to talk about Obama's associations?

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjRjYzE0YmQxNzU4MDJjYWE5MjIzMTMxMmNhZWQ1MTA=

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, do you ever clog a blog! Eric, I read every word and even your attachment. I am still a Democrat and voting for who I think is the best man (and V.P.) You didn't influence me much. A couple of things! You are right about the debate. Boring. But McClain chose the format which he is comfortable with, strolling around, grimacing or smirking, whatever. What's the thing about you and Chinese Food? Grandma Mickey

EDS said...

That's OK, I'll keep working on you Grandma! I'm just glad you're nice enough to read my blog. It would be no fun if everyone agreed with me.

I agree, that debate should have been McCain's home court. I think he still showed his strength in the format ... he just didn't say anything different or exciting. At least he didn't say "Maverick" over and over.

As for Chinese food, I was just commenting on how sick I felt from my lunch. Way too much!

Megan said...

I appreciate your input and value your opinion:) It's fun listening to you splurge here, because I can totally hear your voice in my mind. Funny stuff.
We're McCain-ites...not because we love him with all of our heart (though we think he's got some great strategies), but we feel we're choosing the lesser of 2 evils. Ya know?